Tuesday 3 July 2012

Granola Treats

Today is my step dad's birthday and to celebrate I am going to share a recipe for a homemade granola bar. You might think it's weird that I'm sharing a granola bar recipe instead of a cake, but George works hard outside all day and I think he'd love a treat that he could pack up to take with him while he works. 

I hope you have a great day today, George! You deserve it!

And if you don't have time to make these tasty treats, try one of Fibre 1 or Nature Valley's yummy new treats. Don't forget to enter my giveaway for to win a Fibre 1 and Nature Valley Snack Kit including a lovely weekender bag! Today's the last day you can enter I be picking the winner tomorrow!

Choco-cot-io Granola Bars

2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 cup chopped pistachios
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup jam

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Combine flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and mix with beaters until combined. Stir in the pistachios.

3. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of this mixture in a small bowl and add apricots and chocolate chips to it. Refrigerate this mixture until needed.

4. Press the remaining mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking pan and bake for about 25 minutes.

5. When the bottom layer of the bars are finished baking, let them cool about 20 minutes before spreading the jam on top.

Note: Leave a 1/4 inch boarder around the edge of the baking dish when spreading on the jam. Otherwise you may have a hard time getting your bars out.

6. Crumble the mixture containing the apricots and chocolate chips on top and return the baking dish to the oven to bake another 35-40 minutes or until jam bubbles and top is browned.

7. Let the bars cool, slice, and enjoy!

Most of the work for these treats was shelling the pistachios. Next time I think I'll try dried cranberries and walnuts instead of the apricots and pistachios. Let me know if you try either version. I'll bet they're both good!

No comments:

Post a Comment