Friday 27 July 2012

No-Cook Summer Leftovers

There are three things I especially love about barbecuing. Barbecuing is relaxing in the warm outdoors, it's easy to make food taste great on the grill, and I love taking a cold drink outside with me to cook. 

But because I love barbecuing so much, I always make too much food and have tons of leftovers. And if you know me, you know I don't let anything go to waste and I don't want to eat the old leftovers three nights in a row. 

Today's recipe is a cool no-cook Asian salad that's perfect for a hot summer night; it uses up leftover barbecued chicken (or you can use a store bought rotisserie chicken) and it tastes delicious. 

Asian Chicken Salad - serves 6

2 medium carrots, grated
1 medium jicama, cut into thin strips
2 broccoli stalks, cut into thin strips (reserve the florets for another dish)
1 heart of Romaine lettuce, ripped into small pieces
1 BBQ chicken, store bought rotisserie chicken or leftover BBQ chicken (I used my Spatchcock BBQ Chicken)
1 1/2 cups of Chinese style Chow Mein noodle crackers
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons sesame oil

1. Combine lettuce, jicama, broccoli, and carrots in a large bowl. Toss with your hands or a pair of salad tongs. 

2. Slice chicken and prepare your salad dressing. Combine vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve the sugar.

3. Scoop some salad onto plates and top each salad with some slices of chicken. Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of salad dressing over the chicken and salad and top with a small handful of crunchy Chow Mein noodle crackers.

4. Grab a fork and enjoy!

The only bit of work in this dish is preparing the veggies for the salad. And if you used a mandolin with  an attachment for grating and cutting into thin strips, you've almost eliminated that bit of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment