Sunday 5 January 2014

Delish Fish

If I was told I could choose one food to live on for the rest of my life, I think it might be potatoes. Potatoes are not my favourite food - that might be chocolate, cheese, or fresh berries - but potatoes are versatile, delicious, and healthy. I could never get bored of potatoes or feel sick from eating them.

One of my favourite ways to cook potatoes is to mash them and because I love them, I usually make way too much. If you're anything like me, you need new ways to use up leftover mashed potatoes and I have a perfect idea of what to create - my Potato Fish Cakes!

And, besides using up leftover mashed potatoes, one of the best parts of this dish is how easy it is to change up the ingredients and make something new. Just change the fish or the herb and you've got a whole new dish!


Potato Fish Cakes - makes 10-12 fish cakes

4 fillets of white fish (about 5 oz each) - I used basa
2 cups of mashed potatoes
1 cup of breadcrumbs, I used Panko
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup basil, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil

1. Cube fish into bite sized pieces and then mix fish with all remaining ingredients, except oil.

2. Heat oil in a non stick frying pan on medium heat.

3. Divide fish into 10 - 12 evenly sized cakes and brown both sides of the cakes, about two minutes per side.

4. Lower heat and finish cooking cakes until the middles are warmed and the fish is fully cooked.

5. Serve with mango or peach chutney and enjoy!

I love my homemade mango chutney recipe, but you can also use store bought. It's almost as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment