Thursday 11 July 2013

The Thrill of the Grill

I've told before that I love grilling, but I know I've never told you about grilling scallops. Because scallops are so small, especially bay scallops, I've never wanted to run the risk of trying to grill them and losing some of the sweet little treasures through the grates into the coals below.

But that's all changed now because I came up with an awesome and truly simple idea. I threaded bay scallops into skewers and grilled them like kabobs. It was so simple and, since I've never had a better scallop before, I know I'll be grilling scallop kabobs for appys all through the summer! 

Bay Scallop Kabobs with Watermelon Salad - serves 4

64 bay scallops
Olive oil, for spraying kabobs
2 cups watermelon, cut into 1/2 cm cubes
1 cup cucumber, cut into 1/2 cm cubes
2 tablespoons red onion, very finely chopped
1 small yellow spicy pepper, very finely chopped with seeds removed
Juice from 2 limes
2 tablespoons each of basil and mint, very finely chopped
Salt, to taste

1. Start by threading your bay scallop skewers. Thread 8 bay scallops on 8 skewers so you'll have 2 skewers per person. Spray the kabobs with olive oil and then cook in a hot grill for about 1-2 minutes per side or until the scallops are opaque with lovely grill marks.

2. Meanwhile, make the salad. Combine the melon, cucumber, onion, pepper, lime juice, and herbs in a medium bowl. Toss to combine.

3. Serve salad with the scallop skewers for a light dinner or a beautiful appy. Enjoy!

I adapted my recipe from one I found on the Food Network Canada website, but the best part of this dish for me was my awesome idea to grill skewers of bay scallops!

No comments:

Post a Comment