Friday 5 July 2013

Martha Madness

Even in Martha's darkness days, I was a fan. I was never I fan of what she did to get into those darkest days, but I was always a fan of her cooking because Martha makes good, honest food. 

I love Martha's Meatless cookbook. I have flagged a ton of recipes to try and I know that even if you're not keen in eating meatless everyday, that you'd love a lot of her recipes in Meatless too. 

Today I am sharing my spin on Martha's Arugula, Potato, and Green Bean Salad with Creamy Walnut Dressing. I've substituted asparagus for Martha's green beans and changed her dressing a little too by adding a little curry to the party with my Curried Citrus Yogurt Sauce, but both options are as tasty as can be. :) 

Arugula, Potato, and Asparagus Salad with Creamy Curry Walnut Dressing - serves 4 for a main course or 8 as a side dish

1 1/2 lbs fingerling potatoes, cut into coins
1 lb of asparagus
 3 cups arugula
3/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons each of lemon and orange juice
1/2 teaspoon each of lemon and orange zest
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon honey
1/3 cup toasted walnuts
1/4 oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Boil potatoes in salted water and steam asparagus until soft. Let cool in an ice bath and then chop asparagus into 11/2 inch pieces.

2. Meanwhile, make your dressing. Finely chop walnuts and then add to a bowl with yogurt, citrus juices and zests, curry powder, honey, and salt and pepper. Slowly pour in oil, whisking constantly, until emulsified.

3. Combine potatoes, asparagus, and arugula in a large bowl. Add as much dressing as you like and toss to combine.

I have served this salad as a main course and it's gone over really well, but I bet it would be great as a side dish at a BBQ too.

And I was telling a white lie earlier. I actually prefer my salad to Martha's salad. I'm not saying I'm a better cook, I'm just saying the curry was an awesome addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment