I've always loved a good veggie burger and now I have another make at home veggie burger winner to add to my list. These burgers are filled with chickpeas, cheese, and sharp green onions. With a whole wheat burger bun, that's all the food groups in one tasty sandwich!
There's only one problem with them; they're so yummy that I might not ever share another veggie burger recipe again. I might love this one a little too much.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon each of cumin and chili powder, I used whole cumin seeds for little flavour pockets, but ground cumin would be delicious too
1/2 cup red lentil, cooked as directed or 1 14 oz can of lentils, drained and rinsed
1 14 oz can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon tahini
3 green onions, finely chopped
1 cup each of grated sharp white cheddar and crumbled feta
1 egg, beaten
2 cups breadcrumbs, I used panko, but fresh would be great too
Salt and pepper
Flour for dusting burgers
Oil for frying burgers
Buns and whatever burger toppings you like
1. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until softened but not browned. Add spices and cook another 30-60 seconds.
2. Add onion mixture to a food processor with chick peas, lentil, and tahini. Pulse until well combined.
3. Spoon mixture into a bowl and then add green onions, cheeses, egg, and breadcrumbs. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, but know that your cheeses are pretty salty so you may not want a lot of salt.
4. Form mixture into patties and toss in a little flour.
5. Heat a little oil in a non stick pan and fry burgers on medium low heat until they're golden brown on both sides and warmed through.
6. Sandwich burgers in buns with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
I used the Curried Citrus Yogurt Sauce from my last post. It's fabulous on these burgers!