Thursday 16 May 2013

Protein Powerhouses

Meat isn't the only way you can consume protein and today's dish shows you how easy it is to get a protein rich veggie diet. I'm not going to tell you how much I weigh, but I will say that a 130 pound woman should have about 65 grams of protein in a day or about 1 gram of protein per two pounds of body weight. 

There are so many ways to enjoy protein and here are a few:

Tempeh - 4 oz equals 41 g of protein 
Seitan - 3 oz equals 31 g of protein
Lentils - 1 cup cooked equals 18 g of protein
Chickpeas - 1 cup cooked equals 12 g of protein 
Tofu - 4 oz equals 10 g of protein 
Milk - 1 cup equals 8 g of protein 
Yogurt - 6 oz equals 6 g of protein 
Spinach - 1 cup cooked equals 5 grams of protein

I wish I could say that I was sharing a tempeh or seitan dish, but I haven't verged into those ingredients yet. I know I will soon though, especially after hearing about the protein in them! No, instead today's dish includes a serving or more of tofu, yogurt, and spinach - at least 21 g of protein! 

Spiced Tofu with Spinach and Yogurt - serves 4

1 package of firm tofu, cubed
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon each of ginger powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, and coriander
2 blocks of frozen spinach, defrosted
1 cup plain yogurt
Brown rice or couscous, for serving

1. Prepare tofu as in Thai Tofu Curry. Cut tofu into 3/4 centimetre pieces, toss in 1 tablespoon of the oil, salt, and pepper and bake for about 20-30 minutes in an oven preheated to 400 degrees.

2. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the dinner. Sauté onion and garlic in the remaining oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the spices and defrosted spinach. Cook until warm and stir to combine.

3. Stir in the yogurt and tofu. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4. Serve with rice or couscous and enjoy!

This is my version of a dish found in Martha Stewart's Meatless. I am halfway through that cookbook and am loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment