Wednesday 8 May 2013

Lentil Love

Sometimes I hear myself say something and I do a double take, I ask myself if I really just said that. Naming this post Lentil Love is one of those times. 

I've always thought of lentils are slightly boring, hippie food. Fine for someone who doesn't care what their food tastes like, but not something I wanted to waste my hunger pangs on. 

Now I love lentils. For real. And this Mexican Lentil Wrap recipe might convert even the most non believer out there. 

Mexican Lentil Wrap - serves 4

1 cup dried red lentils, cooked as directed
1 small can of tomato paste, about 1/4 cups
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper
1 avocado, cubed
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 onion, sliced
1 sweet pepper, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
Wraps, large or small

1. Sauté onions and peppers in olive oil until they reach your desired doneness. I like my onions soft and pepper crisp, so I cook my onions for about 5 minutes and then add my peppers for one additional minute. Set aside.

2. Sauté red lentils with tomato paste and cumin until warm and fragrant. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. Load up your wraps with the lentil mixture, veggies, and cheese. Enjoy!

I think cumin is the perfect addition to everything with tomatoes in it. I'm thinking about a salsa recipe with lots of cumin and will share it when it's perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment