Thursday 5 January 2012

Sweet Carmoline

Sweet Carmoline
Duh duh duh
Good food never seemed so good 
I'm so inclined
Duh duh duh
To believe it never would

Aren't those the lyrics to the Neil Diamond song? 

Well, I guess I've been singing it wrong. Maybe that's why no one ever wants to hear me sing?

Regardless, I have a little treat to share with you. It's a another delicious tart made from puff pastry formed in a mini muffin tin. But this time I made my tarts into something both sweet and savoury. 

And after you taste one, I think you might just start singing the words to Sweet Carmoline a little differently too. 


Sweet Carmoline Tarts - makes 24 tarts

1 sheet of puff pastry, defrosted and rolled out a little thinner and cut into 24 squares
1 large sweet onion, finely sliced into circles
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup of blackberry jam

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Caramelize sweet onions in a frying pan at medium low heat with the olive oil. Because the onion is finely sliced, it won't take as long as usual, about 20 minutes. When the onions are almost fully cooked, add the vinegar for a bit of a bite.

2. Place a square of puff pastry into each hole of two mini muffin tins. Then spoon a little blackberry jam into the bottom of each tart.

3. Spoon a little caramelized onion on top of the jam and bake at until the tart shells begin to brown, about 20-30 minutes.

These are good and I will have to make them again. But, I am going to have to keep trying new flavours because the game of creating is just too fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment