Wednesday 18 May 2011

Deep Fried Shmeep Fried

Have you ever noticed how many menu choices in Canadian Chinese restaurants involve breading and deep frying?

It's like French cooking and butter. It's everywhere!

It tastes so good but it definitely puts a little a little extra cushion around my hips. And since I've lost a bit of weight, I have to say that saying I used to think was kind of stupid is true.

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.

Well, maybe I should revise that a little bit because I do love treats. I keep a little stash of goodies in my living room and enjoy a taste of one or two every now and again.

Thin feels awesome but don't forget what good things taste like?

Whatever. I'm really getting off track here...

I can't stand the fact that there are so many tasty creations on Chinese menus that probably would be just as good without the deep fried coating.

And I know there are steamed versions of most menu items, but they sometimes feel a little lacking. So I got to thinking that I should revamp one of my favourite dishes into a stir fried version of the deep fried original.

Sweet and Sour Pork normally is made with breaded and deep fried chunks of pork but I decided to nix the deep frying part on on my recipe.

I'm sure it's been done before because it's basically just a stir fry now, but I love making this quick dish and wanted to share it with you.

But before I share my recipe, here's a little history side bar for you. Sweet and Sour Pork is not a North American creation like Chop Suey. It's really an authentic Cantonese dish....

Well... Sweet and Sour is a real dish, but it was done with fish in China and the pineapple was added to Hawaiian-ize the meal in North America. And... I think that it might be a joke in China that Canadians love this sauce on pork....

So I guess that means it's a North American dish. But that doesn't mean it's not tasty!


Sweet and Sour Pork

1 lb lean boneless pork, fat removed and chopped into 1 inch chunks
3 tablespoons soy sauce, separated into 1 tablespoon and 2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 567 g can of diced pineapple, juice saved separately
1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 medium carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
1 medium red pepper, diced
3 green onions, chopped

Brown rice

1. Combine pork, sesame oil, and two tablespoons soy sauce in a bowl. Mix to combine. Set aside.

2. Add oil to a pan on the stove at medium heat and cook garlic.

3. Once garlic begins to cook, add pork and allow to brown.

4. Keep the rest of the soy sauce and oil in the bowl from the pork and use it to mix up your sauce. Add the chicken broth, sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice, rest of the soy sauce, and corn starch. Mix well and set aside.

5. Once pork is browned, add carrots and celery. Stir sweet and sour sauce mixture and add this to the pan as well.

6. Once sauce begins to thicken and carrots begin to cook, add peppers and green onions. Just allow these to warm and you're done.

7. Serve with brown rice and extra veggies if you wish. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment