Thursday 31 July 2014

Summer Salad Frenzy

I have truly enjoyed finding one new ingredient to try using each month of 2014 and I am proud to say that July's ingredient was something I grew in my garden. It's pineapple mint.

Pineapple mint tastes exactly what you would expect a mint and pineapple fusion to taste like and I have no idea how anyone could have made it happen. It's fresh, bright, and delicious. And you might not believe me, but it's perfect with seafood.

The dish I made to first taste pineapple mint is a fresh summer salad and I know it's going to find it's way back onto my dinner table throughout August. It's too simple and perfect to serve on a warm day.


Roasted Beet and Fennel Salad with Bay Scallops - serves 4

8 medium large beets, peeled and chopped (I used a mix of golden and red beets)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large head of fennel, sliced
1 lb of bay scallops
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup fresh herbs, chopped (I used a mix of fennel fronds, pineapple mint, parley, and basil)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss beets with one tablespoon oil and salt. Wrap in foil and bake until cooked, about 30 minutes.

Note: If using golden and red beets, toss with oil and wrap in foil separately to avoid the colours bleeding into one another.

2. While beets are cooking, whisk together the remaining oil, lemon juice, and herbs to make your dressing. Season to taste with salt and toss with the fennel in a large bowl. Set aside.

3. Next melt butter in a pan and cook scallops just until they are cooked through. Set aside.

4. Add the cooked beets to the bowl with the fennel and dressing and lightly toss. Serve with a generous spoonful of scallops on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment