Saturday 1 March 2014

Sesame Slaw

Did anyone else forget that there are only 28 days in February and it's March 1 today? I did and now I suddenly feel like I've lost a couple of days. I hate feeling rushed because it makes me make mistakes. When I'm rushing and cooking, I always seem to cut or almost cut myself. When I'm rushing at work, everything always seems to take longer because I need to do things twice. And when I'm rushing when I'm trying to get out the door, something will always be forgotten at home.

But there are a few rare occasions where something good has come from rushing. One of those occasions is preparing dinner. I now have a few quick and easy recipes that I almost always have all the ingredients for in my pantry, fridge, or freezer. One of those recipes is my Greek Chickpea Salad and another is the new slaw recipe that I'm going to share today.

I love to serve this Sesame Slaw with a simple piece of baked fish but it's also great with take out or frozen pizza or even a grilled cheese sandwich. It just makes food feel more like a meal.

Sesame Slaw - serves 4 

1/2 head of Savoy cabbage 
1 cup of snow peas
6 large radishes 
3 green onions
2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard 
2 teaspoons honey
1 pinch of salt 


1. Thinly slice cabbage and then chop each slice into thirds so the pieces are closer to bite size. Throw it into a big bowl. This is a quick slaw, so nothing has to be perfect.

2. Chop snow peas into thirds and toss them on top of the cabbage.

3. Slice radishes into thin circles and then slice the circles into match sticks. Dump the radishes on top of the snow peas.

4. Quickly chop up the green onions, throw them into with everything else, and toss the veggies.

5. Whisk together the oils, lemon juice, mustard, honey and salt. Pour the dressing and the sesame seeds into the slaw and toss again to combine.

6. Eat the slaw now or, better yet, wait at least 10 minutes so the slaw's flavours can meld. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment