Who doesn't love chocolate? Other than the few people I know that are allergic to my favourite feel better medication, I don't think I know anyone.
I don't even need to taste chocolate for a pick me up, all I need to do is smell it. Of course, tasting chocolate really makes me happy, but a girl can only eat so much of it!
Today's post is a simple recipe that combines chocolate with banana, so you get a serving of fruit with your dessert.
And while you read the recipe, try and guess what I am going to do to tweak it for Halloween this year. If anyone guesses what I am going to do before October rolls around, I will let you know by making it early!
Chocolate and Banana Brownies
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups flour
2 cups mashed banana (apple sauce works great too!)
1 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, cream the 1 1/2 cups sugar with the butter and then add the eggs. Mix in.
3. In a separate bowl, sift the cocoa, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, and flour.
4. Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir to combine. Then add half the mashed banana to the butter mixture and stir to combine. Repeat so that all the flour and all the banana is added to the butter mixture.
5. Grease a large spring form pan or a 8 x 10 inch baking dish. Pour all the batter into the baking dish in an even layer and smooth the top.
6. Sprinkle the top of the brownie batter with the chocolate chips and the 2 tablespoons sugar and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out the middle of the brownies clean.
This dessert is best eaten the day you make it because the sugar forms a crispy topping that loses it's crispiness as it sits. So, I either invite lots of friend over to eat them or I make a half batch to eat with just a few close friends (or by myself) :)