Monday 6 February 2012

Dress It Up

I love dressing. I think I could eat just a big bowl of the stuff and leave all the other turkey dinner fixings alone.

But when I tried my mom's version of dressing, all my previous thoughts about my favourite holiday disappeared. Now I know what dressing is supposed to taste like and now I really REALLY love it. 

One of the key features about my love for this recipe is how all fruit and veggies are all grated. I thought bigger would be better until I tried it this way. The second key feature is using day-old sourdough bread; the flavour you get from this bread is unbeatable!

I won't make you wait any longer - here it is!

Apple, Carrot, and Parsley Dressing

1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 medium apple, grated
1/2 bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pinch of salt and pepper
5 cups of cubed sourdough bread
1 cup chicken stock 
1/2 cup cream
1 egg, beaten 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

2. Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat and add the onion and celery. Cook until the onion begins to sweat, about 5 minutes. 

3. Toss the onion and celery with the bread cubes in a large bowl. Add in the grated carrot and apple as well as the parsley. Mix with a spoon to combine. 

4. Mix together chicken stock, cream, and the egg. Pour mixture over the bread, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. 

5. Empty mixture into a baking dish and bake for 30-25 minutes or until golden brown. If the dressing starts to brown too early, cover with a piece of foil. 

6. Serve with turkey and your favourites sides. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment