My mom is a huge fan of barbecuing. At her house, she the Queen of barbecuing and no one else goes near the barbecue. She'll go out to barbecue in the middle of winter and when it's pitch black outside; nothing will stop my mom from barbecuing.
So for Mother's Day this year, if I were able to be with my mom, I'd like to share my recipe for vegan sausages with her. They're great when they're grilled and much easier to make than you might think.
Read on for my Smokey Vegan Sausage recipe.
Smokey Vegan Sausages - makes 4
1 cup vital wheat gluten (flour with 75% protein available from the Bulk Barn or Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup oatmeal
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
2 teaspoons dehydrated onion
1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
1 teaspoon dried herbs (thyme, basil, or a mixture of your choice)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
1/4 cup apple butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons veggie broth
1 tablespoon molasses
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1/4 cup black tea
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Mix together all of the wet ingredients in a small bowl and then pour into the dry ingredients.
4. Knead the dough on your counter until it forms a ball.
5. Cut the dough into four equal pieces. Roll each piece into a sausage shape and wrap each sausage in aluminum foil, twisting the ends like a candy.
6. Place wrapped sausages on a cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, flipping three sausages halfway through their cooking process.
7. When they're baked, be sure to carefully unwrap the sausages from their foil because they could have a little steam trapped inside that could burn you could burn yourself. I suggest wearing oven mitts.
8. Now you can choose to eat the sausages as they are, pan fry them, or paint them in barbecue sauce and grill them.
Happy Mother's Day (tomorrow) :)