Sunday 20 October 2013

Crazy Ingredient Challenge - Broccoli and Pumpkin Puree


I really enjoyed this month's Crazy Ingredient Challenge and didn't really think that our pairing was too difficult. Chocolate and cauliflower - that was weird but I didn't really embrace the challenge with my Spicy Chocolate Dusted Cauliflower. Caramel and avocados was tough too but I think my Creamy Avocado Salad with Caramel Almonds turned out great. And I barely made tomatoes and coconut work with my Tomato Soup Cupcakes and Caramel Frosting. But pumpkin purée and broccoli - I paired those veggies together in a flash and made a delicious dinner too! 

I suppose it helped that I love eating both those veggies. And it probably also helped because I like to think my Thai curries are one of my best dishes. Read on to see if you agree!

Thai Pumpkin Curry with Broccoli, Crispy Tofu, and Pomegranate - serves 4

1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced 
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
1 teaspoon lemon grass purée 
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red Thai curry paste 
1 cup pumpkin purée 
1 can of coconut milk
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets 
2 tablespoons fish sauce 
2 teaspoons brown sugar 
1/4 cup lime juice 
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 block of firm tofu, sliced into even slices 
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pomegranate, seeds separated 
Hot couscous or rice, for serving

1. Start by frying your tofu in 2 tablespoons olive oil until crispy on both sides, about 3 - 5 minutes on each side. Be sure to fry tofu in a single layer or it won't crisp well. 

2. Meanwhile, start your sauce. Sauté onion, garlic, ginger, and lemon grass in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil until fragrant. Add the curry paste and stir to combine. Add the pumpkin purée and coconut milk and cook until simmering. 

3. Add the broccoli and let steam a few minutes until slightly soft. Stir in fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, and cilantro. 

4. Take the sauce off the heat and serve over hot couscous or rice. Stick a few crispy pieces of tofu in the couscous or rice for spooning up the sauce and garnish with pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!


9 comments:

  1. Sarah this looks delicious! I love the addition of pomegranates on top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I mentioned in another blog, I LOVE curry. I am excited by your dish. It looks so balanced with nuance flavors. I agree with Sarah, the pomegranates seeds were a great addition. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, it seems like you know about all my favorite ingredients! I love tofu, I love pomegranates and canned coconut milk! What a fantastic curry! This is for sure on my "to cook" list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! It turned out better than I expected, this one is a keeper at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was good until you said tofu. Not my favorite thing but other wise a great dish. I will pass it to my friend, she loves tofu and curry both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, this sounds so delicious. I recently made something like this and my family loved it. I think the pomegranate adds a little something extra. Great recipe! See you next month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colours in this dish, Sara! I just want to dig right in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the curry twist to the ingredients! Well done!

    ReplyDelete