The fact that it's perfect for sharing in October is a big bonus. The dish is a healthier version of one from Clotilde Dusoulier's The French Market Cookbook and it's shocking pink colour makes it perfect for remembering that October is breast cancer awareness month. Plus it reminds me of Alien Spaghetti and that makes it perfect for Halloween too! :)
Alien Spaghetti - serves 4 with a hearty salad as a side
5 medium beets, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 more medium beets, peeled and cubed
1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup of cream cheese
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 lb of spaghetti
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Start by tossing five of the cubed beets in olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast in an oven pre-heated to 400 until soft, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make your beet sauce. Add remaining beets, yogurt, cream cheese, garlic, and cumin to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Now bring salted water a boil and boil pasta until a little under el dente. It will cook longer with the beet sauce so it's ok that it's under done.
4. Drain the water, return the pasta to the pot, and fold in the sauce. Cook at medium heat until the sauce is heated through and the pasta is cooked to your desired doneness.
5. Serve with a large scoop of roasted beets and parsley on top! Enjoy!