Sunday 24 July 2011

Fit For The King


So what King is this? Well.... Obviously it's not Prince William since he's not the King yet. And I'm not very familiar with a lot of other royalty, so it must be Elvis?

That's right. I'm talking about Elvis Presley.

I don't know if you're one of Elvis's biggest fans, but if you are, you might know that this weekend was the huge annual Elvis festival in my little hometown of Collingwood, ON.



My friends and I used to go downtown and listen to the excited performers sing along to old Elvis tunes while dressed in their Elvis finest. Some were really talented and some were more likely to be described as having a really great outfit, but we always had a lot of fun.

We ate carnival food, went on rides, and partied in the streets. But to be honest... I don't even really like the music.

Don't gasp. That's my little town's claim to fame and I enjoyed it. I just wouldn't necessarily choose to listen to the music when it wasn't Elvis festival.

So in honour of Elvis, and because I couldn't be home this year, I made a down south dish that I know the King would enjoy.

So without further ado...

Peach Pie, Fit For The King

1 cup shortening, cold from the fridge
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cold water
Pinch of salt
10-12 peaches, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice

1. Make your pastry. You can use store bought or use your own recipe, but my easy recipe make a flaky and delicious pie fit for the King. Use a knife to cut the cold shortening into the 2 cups of flour in a large bowl until it resembles bread crumbs. Then add cold water, a few tablespoons at a time until the mixture sticks together to form a ball.

2. Separate the pastry into two chunks and roll them out into sheets. Try to touch the pastry as little as possible to keep the shortening cold. Place one sheet in a pie dish and set aside the other for on top.

3. Combine the peaches, cinnamon, lemon juice, sugar, and 1/4 cup of flour in the same bowl you made your pastry in. You used flour in both so why dirty another bowl?

4. Gently toss and pour the mixture into the pie dish.



5. Top with the second piece of rolled out pastry, crimp the edges, and cut a few steam holes.


6. Bake for about an hour at 350 degrees or until the pastry starts to brown and the filling starts to bubble.



7. Enjoy your dessert, but since it's fit for the King, you better get in fast!

I'm going for seconds right now!



Have you had a piece yet, because the pie has almost left the building. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment