Saturday 16 July 2011

Creamy and Dreamy

I love asparagus. It's very versatile and equally tasty. 

You can steam it, BBQ it, roast it, pan fry it, and pretty much do anything you want to it. 

One way I had not tried asparagus was in a soup. I didn't think that the delicate veggie would stand up to be in a pot of hot soup long enough for me to finish eating it all. I thought it would fall apart and go mushy. 

But when my mom told how my Papa brought up a batch of creamy and delicious asparagus soup, I just knew I had to try it. And let me tell you, it was delicious. 

Before you read my recipe below, try and think of what you bet could be in it. Think hard and I bet there is one ingredient on the list that you won't name. It sure surprised me. 

So thanks for the soup recipe Papa, hopefully I can pass along a few more recipes your way too!


Creamy Dreamy Asparagus Soup

1 pound fresh asparagus, washed and chopped into 1 - 2 inch chunks (keep the tips in a separate bowl)
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped 
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
3 cups of chicken broth, homemade or purchased
1 cup of milk
1 cup of Cheddar cheese
Pinch of salt and pepper

1. Combine potatoes, onions, and asparagus stems in a large soup pot. Cover with chicken broth and bring to a boil.

2. Once the broth reaches a broil, turn the heat down and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked.

3. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup.

4. Add the milk, Cheddar cheese, and asparagus tips. Stir and let the asparagus tips warm. Serve and enjoy.

This soup is yummy served with a little fresh basil on top or with some homemade bread.

I used my Whole Wheat Olive Loaf recipe and instead of olives included 1/2 cup of sun dried tomatoes and 1/4 cup of fresh finely chopped oregano. Yum!


So did you guess Cheddar cheese is in the soup? 10 points to whoever did because I never would have guessed it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment