Friday 26 August 2011

Simple Sides

It's Friday night and I never feel much like cooking after a long week of work, so today I am going to show you some of favourite side dishes for nights when you feel like I do.

They're simple, fresh, and summery. They're perfect for me on a night like tonight.

So with no further ado, here they are!

Pattypans




These are beautiful little squash that I love to buy this time of year at a Farmer's Market. They can be found big or little, yellow or green, but always have the beautiful scalloped edge on them.

In fact, the French word for pattypan, patisson, is derived from Provencal word for a cake made in a scalloped mould. If knowing this squash is so pretty, the name comes from a cake doesn't make you want to eat it, nothing will.

Except for how easy they are to make!

Just wash them, slice of the ends, slice them in half if they are large, and bake or fry them until they're soft with a bit of salt, pepper, and olive oil.

That's it. And since the colour and shape always make me happy, I know I will be happy eating them.

Zucchini and Tomato Salad


I took this idea for a salad from the traditional fresh mozzarella and tomato salad, but mine is healthier and just as yummy.

All you do is slice up a tomato or two and a large zucchini into half inch slices. Try and make sure you have an equal number of tomato slices to zucchini slices.

Then brush the zucchini with a touch of olive oil and grilled them up until they are soft and have slight grill marks. Layer the salad with alternating slices of fresh tomato and grilled zucchini, season with salt and pepper, and you're done!

So there are two new veggi-lious sides for you to use on a busy night.

But now there's a problem, which to try first? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment